Rue Royale in its more or less present shape was with its buildings created between around 1760 and 1785. It has changed names with the history, from Rue Royale des Tuileries, to Rue de la Révolution, Rue Royale Saint Honoré, Rue de la Concorde. Since 1814 it’s just Rue Royale.
There are two passages, both of course with an opening also on the parallel street, Rue Boissy d'Anglas.
One, Galerie Royale, is partly covered by some nice stained glass, partly in open air. It’s a place especially for nice pieces of porcelain, crystal… (see the large Chagall plate) and also some fashion houses.
The other one, Village Royal (see top picture), is in open air. It was until recently called Cité Berryer and was for centuries a market place (Marché Aguesseau). It’s now a bit remodeled and has also become a place for fashionable shops and restaurants.
For the francophiles knowing Alphone Allais, it may be interesting to see this plate at the entrance of Village Royal, reading: "Si en 1900 Alphonse Allais a, par erreur, habité en face, 24 rue Royale, c'est ici que son esprit demeure".