The Saint Louis Hospital (Hôpital Saint Louis) is more than 400 years old – the first stone was laid in 1607. Comparing a picture from the beginning of the 17th century with what it looks like at present, we can see that the central buildings still look more or less the same and the chapel is still there. There is a clear similarity with the Place des Vosges (see previous post), built at the same period.
The hospital was created to relieve the by the plague overcrowded hospital Hôtel Dieu (see previous post) and for a long time it was used only temporarily during severe epidemics and for this reason it was – those days – placed way away from the city centre. Since 1773 it has been in permanent use and is today one of the 22 public hospitals within the Paris borders. Some 2500 people work here.
Since new buildings were added 1984-89, the old ones are basically only administrative. It was the first hospital in the world to teach dermatology, still one of its specialties.